For quite a while I was thinking of posting a series of commentaries on that subject. I believe that certain events have to be described in the way that is consistent with the facts rather than with the "progressive" media narrative.
Today's rant has been triggered by this article:
BAGHDAD – Hundreds of ISIS fighters had just been chased out of a northern Syrian city and were fleeing through the desert in long convoys, presenting an easy target to U.S. A-10 "warthogs."
But the orders to bomb the black-clad jihadists never came, and the terrorists melted into their caliphate -- living to fight another day. The events came in August 2016, ...
How come that the Noble peace prize winner president did not authorize bombing of the retreating military ISIS convoys while at the same time he never seemed to hesitate to authorize drone attacks against Yemeni villages and civilians?
(my reflections written down 24/12/2017)
In my opinion, Obama will be remembered in future textbooks as probably one of the most incompetent presidents in the US history:
- authorized massive drone strikes against suspected terrorists causing massive civilian death in foreign countries without declaration of war against those countries
- granted secret service agencies an unprecedented power to implement a mass-surveillance program involving cellphone and internet networks,
- general ineptitude in handling international politics, most notably declaring a so-called "reset" with Russia that encouraged that country's opportunistic aggression towards its weakest neighbors such as Georgia in 2008 and Ukraine in 2013,
- inability to think ahead regarding North Korean problem, unwillingness to put a substantial pressure on North Korea at the time when they were starting to build
and expanding their nuclear and ballistic missile programs. This allowed it to create a major threat of war that many countries will have to deal with now.
- misplayed the Middle Eastern politics undermining various autocratic regimes such as Libia, Egypt and Syria without a consistent follow-up strategy
- prematurely withdrew from Iraq without establishing a stable system and alliances, (apart from Saudi Arabia alliance with the US, see below)
- misplayed or colluded with Saudi Arabia allowing Saudi regime to finance various CIA operation in the Middle East to undermine Shia influence from Iran, that resulted in the establishment of ISIS terrorist network which resulted in war, deaths and destruction
- allowed certain US allies in the Middle East (again, probably Saudis!) to finance smuggling of North African Muslim immigration to Europe, creating a political crisis in the EU
- allowed suspicious activity in Afganistan involving opium production and smuggling it to the West, to continue
- did not prevent or investigate foreign financing of the Unites States Democratic party, involving Saudis' Alwaleed Bin Talal and Clinton Foundation,
- worked closely with and protected the interests of Wall Street banking system, neglecting implementation of necessary reforms of the financial system,
- accepted and used "Global Warming" doctrine on climate change to promoted various domestic and international regulatory legislations resulting in crippling of the US (and Canadian) oil industry
- allowed or did not reform international certification standards to continue crippling of the American (and Canadian) industry
- implemented a badly thought out reform of financial side (only) of the health service by strengthening the health insurer's monopoly and making it compulsory, rather than addressing the cost issue by breaking the monopoly of the medical association and farmaceutical corporations
- allowed international trade treatise such as NFTA and TPP to be dominated and subjected to large corporate interests disregarding the need to truly free the international market from custom fees, restrictions and rules that affect small companies and individuals disproportionally badly,
- general financial ineptitude, overspending in the areas involving the military complex with a simultaneous neglect to simplify and lower the tax burden of the working class population (which ultimately led to a demise of his political party, IMHO)